Click below for an explanation of each library card and links to download applications. (Applications must be submitted in person with proof of residence.)
Regular Library Card
Picking up a library card is quick and easy.
Stop by any of our 14 branches, fill in an application and show us a picture ID or similar documentation showing us that you live in Hinds County. Children and teens need a parent’s signature to receive a card. The card is FREE to any Hinds County resident.
If you live outside Hinds County, you can still receive a library card for only $25.00 a year for an individual and $50.00 for a family living in the same household.
- Print, audio or CD books have a checkout period of 3 weeks.
- Lease books have a checkout period of 2 weeks.
- DVDs have a checkout of 7 days.
All items can be renewed for an additional checkout period, not to exceed to the item’s checkout length. However, an item cannot be renewed once it has reached the renewal limit. At that time, the item can be checked out again by bringing it to any open branch within the Jackson Hinds Library System. If it does not have a hold on it for another user, then the item can be checked out again.
Your library card is always valid, as long as you visit one of our libraries at least once per year. Any card can be renewed by verifying address and telephone numbers on or around the time the card is set to expire.
Read more on our FAQs page.
Fine-Free Kid's Card
- Parents, guardians and/or teachers should fill out the Fine-Free Kid’s Card application for children aged 5-11, and bring it to a library branch offering the Fine-Free Kid’s Card option.
- The child must be a resident of Hinds County full-time to be eligible to enroll for a Fine-Free Kid’s Card.
- The card must be presented in order for the child to use the card, and the card must be presented to participate in library programming.
Kids can check out up to 2 books each visit, as long as the books borrowed are returned within three weeks.
Kids can choose from the following sections:
- Easy Picture Books
- Easy Readers
- Juvenile Fiction
- Juvenile Non-Fiction
Fine Free Teen's Card
The Jackson Hinds Library System has a new Fine Free Teen’s Card for Hinds County residents aged 12-17. This limits the amount of out-of-pocket expenses for overdue fees and allows the teen to check out print books, e-books, e-audios, digital magazines like Marie Claire and Vogue, and use the library’s public access computers at absolutely no charge.
Here’s how you get started:
- Teens can register in person at any JHLS library branch or have a parent, guardian, teacher or adult friend apply for a card on their behalf.
- Proof of Hinds County residency and age of tween or teen must be presented when registering for the card.
- Fine Free Teen’s Card must be presented each time that teens check out items at a JHLS branch or use the library system’s public access computers.
- Check-outs of eBooks, audiobooks or digital magazines require a 4 digit PIN number which must be present in the teen’s account at the time of check-out.
- Teens can check out three print books at a time. Digital materials (e-books, e-audios and digital magazines) do not count towards the three-book limit.
What Kinds of Library Materials Can Be Checked Out with This Card?
- Adult Fiction and Non-Fiction
- YA Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Manga and Anime Series
- Juvenile Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Digital Magazines
- Easy Picture Books