E-books, Audiobooks & Music
Enjoy these free digital options with your JHLS library card and PIN.
Click below for an explanation of each service.
Jackson/Hinds Library System has joined thousands of Public Libraries around the world by subscribing to The Freegal® Music Service from Library Ideas, LLC. Under the terms of the agreement, registered cardholders can download three tracks and stream unlimited MP3-formatted tracks each week at no direct cost via Jackson/Hinds Library System. The library subscription pays for access to the music.
The Freegal® Music service allows patrons to access a collection spanning over 15 million songs and music videos from more than 40,000 music labels worldwide including Sony Music, Epic, RCA, and Columbia. Freegal® Music also offers a completely rebuilt mobile app and website which utilizes modern application practices to ensure an easy-to-use and enjoyable experience. The free application is available for library cardholders and can be downloaded in the Apple® App Store and Google® Play store.
To start downloading e-books and audiobooks, you must have a current, unexpired library card and a four-digit PIN in your patron record. Need help renewing your card or choosing a PIN? Please stop by your local library branch.
Digital content is also available in Libby—the free, award-winning reading app from OverDrive. Download the Libby app from the App Store or Google Play, or access it from your web browser at libbyapp.com.
If you have problems downloading titles, you can access the extensive Overdrive help section at bit.ly/JHLSODhelp.
Need a library card? Library cards are free to all persons who live or own property in Hinds County. Non-resident cards are available for $25.00 a year for a single person or $50.00 a year for families.
hoopla - No Holds!
- More than 319,000 e-books with simultaneous access (no holds) are available.
- More than 82,000 audiobooks (also known as e-audios) are also available with no holds.
- Users must have a JHLS library card and PIN to borrow e-books and audiobooks.
- You must visit a JHLS branch to register and renew your card once per year.
- JHLS cardholders can have three checkouts per month (for example, one e-book and two audiobooks).
- 21-day checkout with automatic return – no late fees.
- View in a web browser on a laptop or desktop computer (no downloads).
- Download to your mobile device with the hoopla app for iOS, Android and Kindle.
- Use hoopla BingePass for seven-day access to hoopla Magazines, The Great Courses Video Library and Curiosity Stream.
- The service is funded by the Mississippi Library Commission.
Here are links to other pages where you can access free e-books and audiobooks:
Our Pinterest Board
Digitalbook.io – More than 100,000 options
ManyBooks – 50,000 e-books
Project Gutenberg – 60,000 e-books
LibriVox – Free public domain audiobooks