From the American Library Association:
The theme for National Library Week (April 4-10, 2021), “Welcome to Your Library,” promotes the idea that libraries extend far beyond the four walls of a building – and that everyone is welcome to use their services. During the pandemic, libraries have been going above and beyond to adapt to our changing world by expanding their resources and continuing to meet the needs of their users. Whether people visit in person or virtually, libraries offer opportunities for everyone to explore new worlds and become their best selves through access to technology, multimedia content, and educational programs.
Celebrations During National Library Week
- Monday, April 5: State of America’s Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2020.
- Tuesday, April 6: National Library Workers Day, a day for library staff, users, administrators and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Wednesday, April 7: National Library Outreach Day, a day to celebrate library outreach and the dedicated library professionals who are meeting their patrons where they are.
- Thursday, April 8: Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to rally advocates to support libraries.
Upcoming JHLS programs that coincide with National Library Week can be found on our programs calendar.
Ways to Celebrate National Library Week
1. Visit your library [online]
Whether you’re visiting in person or virtually, libraries offer the opportunity to explore new worlds through access to technology, multimedia content, and educational programs. Take time to connect with your library during National Library Week to see all they have to offer.
2. Participate in the #MyLibraryIs promotion on social media
Celebrate National Library Week 2021 by sharing what you love about the resources and services available at your library. Post to Instagram, Twitter, or on the I Love Libraries Facebook page, about an e-book, audiobook, virtual story time or book club, or how your library has made a difference while you’ve been social distancing at home. Use the hashtag #MyLibraryIs. We’ll gather all the entries, and one randomly selected winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card. The promotion starts Sunday, April 4 at noon CT and ends on Saturday, April 10 at noon CT. Don’t forget to tag your library!
If you love your library, say it loud and proud: vocal community support helps libraries secure much-needed funding and reminds hardworking library staff that their efforts are appreciated. Participating in the #MyLibraryIs promotion is a quick, easy way to help your library thrive!
Help spread the word about our #MyLibraryIs promotion by sharing these graphics on your social media channels. Click a link below to download a graphic.
- What do you love about your library? Twitter | Facebook
- What’s your favorite library resource? Twitter | Facebook
3. Follow JHLS on social media!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MyJHLS
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MyJHLS
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jacksonhindslibrarysystem/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC72LjMWqaq4YySxRiNwHPSQ
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/jacksonhindslibrarysystem