The Jackson Hinds Library System has a new Fine Free Card that can limit the amount of out-of-pocket expenses that your family might have compared to a regular library card.
How does the Fine Free Teen’s Card Work?
The Jackson Hinds Library System has a new Fine Free Teen’s Card for Hinds County residents aged 12-17. This limits the amount of out-of-pocket expenses for overdue fees and allows the teen to check out print books, e-books, e-audios, digital magazines like Marie Claire and Vogue, and use the library’s public access computers at absolutely no charge.
Here’s how you get started:
- Teens can register in person at any JHLS library branch or have a parent, guardian, teacher or adult friend apply for a card on their behalf.
- Proof of Hinds County residency and age of tween or teen must be presented when registering for the card.
- Fine Free Teen’s Card must be presented each time that teens check out items at a JHLS branch or use the library system’s public access computers.
- Check-outs of eBooks, audiobooks or digital magazines require a 4 digit PIN number which must be present in the teen’s account at the time of check-out.
- Teens can check out three print books at a time. Digital materials (e-books, e-audios and digital magazines) do not count towards the three-book limit.
What Kinds of Library Materials Can Be Checked Out with This Card?
- Adult Fiction and Non-Fiction
- YA Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Manga and Anime Series
- Juvenile Fiction and Non-Fiction
- Digital Magazines
- Easy Picture Books
What Happens Next?
Once the books has been checked out, you can keep it for three (3) weeks. You can renew it one time for a total of six (6) weeks.
If you don’t return the books on time, your card will be frozen. It cannot be used until the books you borrowed are returned.
Lost Books? What Do I Do?
If the books are permanently lost, you will have to pay for them. At no point will you ever be charged an overdue fine or fee.
What Else Can I Do with My Fine Free Teen’s Card?
You can use up to three (3) hours in two (2) 90-minute sessions, which gives you access to these services:
Learning Express with:
- GED and High School Equivalency Test Preparation
- Career and Occupational Testing
- ACT and SAT Practice Tests
- PSAT/NMSQT Practice Test
- AP Practice Testing
MAGNOLIA Research Databases
- Mississippi Driver Education Database
- 11 car practice tests
- 8 motorcycle practice tests